JfL is a rapidly expanding movement rooted in the guiding principle that to lift people out of joblessness, hopelessness, despair, poverty and the roadblocks of circumstance, they need far more than just a job. They need to have a life. A life filled with understanding, confidence, self-control, coaching, learning, guidance, and faith.
What is Jobs for Life at FBC?
Job skills training course taught from a biblical worldview that emphasizes individuals created in the image of God with gifts, talents, skills and abilities that are to be used to earn a living, provide physical needs, and joyfully serve others in paid and unpaid situations in order to not be idle for the glory of God.
What Jobs for Life is not?
- Employment agency
- Temp agency
- A class that guarantees employment to students
How is this accomplished?
- 8 week 16 class course taught 2 nights a week
- JFL workbook and the Bible are the primary books used
- Students must complete: all homework assignments, resume, 2 year roadmap to stability, miss only 3 classes, actively look for employment during the class
- 2 Employer roundtables – Employers from the church and the community share do’s and don’ts for students as they apply for a job, and how to answer tough questions that may be asked of them during an interview.
- 1 Community Resources - Resources that can be used to overcome roadblocks and increases ones skills to increase their value to employers: Durham Rescue Mission, The Dove House and Durham Tech Representative
- Graduation - Students who meet all the requirements will graduate with information that can be used the rest of their life.
I want to invite you to come and use your God-given gifts, talents, skills and abilities, and challenge men and women to live life-even work-for the glory of God. For more information contact Matthew Hodges (919)688-7308, ext. 26 or by email.