When is Summer Sizzle?
- First Baptist Church Durham
- Saturday, July 19, 2014
- Health Fair starts at 10:30am-1:30pm
- Block Party starts at 11:00am-1:30pm
What is Summer Sizzle?
Galatians 6:10 10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
- Summer Sizzle is a “come and see” event for the surrounding community that enables two groups of people created in the image of God that are cultural, socially, and economically different to cross paths.
- This year we will combine the Health Fair with a Community Block Party to show our concern for the welfare of the men and women living in the surrounding community.
Why are we doing Summer Sizzle?
Mark 2:17 17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
- Summer Sizzle enables FBC members to “cross paths” with men and women from the community to listen and learn from them as we apply the gospel to their SOUL, and the struggles, stresses and situations in life.
Will any information about the gospel be passed out?
- We will pass out the “Two ways to live” tract along with a short book on the gospel by D.A. Horton.
- One of the most misunderstood doctrines in the urban context is the Gospel. D.A. not only highlights how essential the Gospel is, but clearly articulates and defines the Gospel for the often forgotten and misunderstood urban culture. LeCrae- Reach Records artist of bestselling album Rehab
- G.O.S.P.E.L. isn’t breaking ground but it is groundbreaking. Having a Latino urban theological voice on the issue of the Gospel is profound need. With this work Pastor Horton helps to bring the simple (not simplistic) solution of the Gospel to a complex urban context. Eric Mason- Lead Pastor of Epiphany Fellowship, Philadelphia
- Damon Horton is a young pastor with a passion to communicate the gospel in a relevant format to the urban sector in such a way that they can receive the message, comprehend the message, and apply the message to their lives. This book takes the theological issues that are often overlooked or ignored and drives home the meaning of the Gospel with clarity. Reverend Horton has answered the question well, “What is the Gospel?” James L. Clark, PhD- President of Calvary Bible College and Theological Seminary
What will happen after Summer Sizzle?
- We will have a special BFL class on Sunday July 20, 2014. The class will be on the “Core Values of FBC”
- We will follow up with those who are not sure where they will spend eternity, interested in a bible study or learning more information about FBC Durham
Where should I park?
- Park in the gravel parking lot across from the North Tower parking lot on Elliot Street
Who do I contact to serve?
- Contact Matthew Hodges and he will connect you with the areas that need volunteers (919)688-7308 ext. 26 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I or my family serve?
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to fill FBC members and mightily work through us to declare the gospel in word and display the gospel in deeds
- We need FBC members to come and enjoy the day and the activities that we will have.
- Intentionally sit with someone you do not know and eat a hot dog and hamburger as you talk and listen to our guest
- We will have inflatables, games for kids, a basketball hoop, and local emergency agencies to name a few
- Invite the individuals you talk with to church and encourage them to attend the “Core Values of FBC” class