At FBC, we desire to build the Kingdom of God in the way that He has ordained in His word. One of the many organizing themes in the Bible is that of “Journey”. The following are our Core Values based on that theme:
The Christian Life Is a Journey
John 14:4-6 “You know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
- The Purpose of the Journey is the glory of God
- The Final Destination of the Journey is Heaven, where we will love God and others perfectly
- The Lord of the Journey is Christ, whose death and resurrection purchased the fare
- The Perfect and Sufficient Roadmap for this Journey is the Scripture
- The Journey is Internal, as our hearts and lives become more and more like Christ’s
- The Journey is External, as we make disciples of family, close neighbors, and distant nations
- The Fellow Travelers are the Body of Christ, whose progress in this Journey is our responsibility
Therefore, We Value
- The glory of God
- Love for God and others
- Christ’s death, resurrection, and lordship
- Scripture as perfect and sufficient
- Progressive sanctification in holiness
- Progressive disciple-making in evangelism and missions
- Body life in Spirit-filled families and church
Our philosophy of ministry, therefore, seeks to integrate the individual journey of sanctification (Internal Journey) with the corporate journey of mission (External Journey). We believe these two only happen in concert with each other: as individuals are growing up in Christ, they will use their spiritual gifts and make the most of every opportunity to build up others in the Body of Christ and reach out to lost people locally and globally.
We place a strong emphasis on the ministry of the Word of God to “prime the pump” for both Journeys. We desire to build people up and give them opportunities to serve the Lord, using their spiritual gifts to grow the church. We want to put the transforming power of the gospel on display on Sunday mornings during our worship, and throughout the week during our ministries in the world.
We also place a strong emphasis on the family, encouraging fathers to lead their families Biblically, encouraging husbands and wives to relate to each other in the pattern of Christ and His church, encouraging parents to train their children up for the present and future glory of Christ.
We also believe in the value of small group ministry, in meeting in host homes and developing deeper relationships around the Word of God, in praying knowingly for each other, and in serving Christ with each other in that context.